Friday, May 6, 2011

Sonoran Desert

For the last 9 months, 
I have been reminded that there is a third grade ELP field trip in May.
It has been a regular topic of conversation for Caleb
as he often thought of all the fun awaiting him.

So, as the date approached I signed up to go along and I hoped it would live up to expectation.

We started at 7:15 am as we climbed onto a charted bus 
that would take us to Tucson to visit the Desert Sonoran Museum.


On the way the kids ate snacks, watched Planet Earth 
and got to meet an interesting desert reptile that can puff up like a blowfish.


After a couple of hours, we arrived at the museum.
I wasn't exactly sure what to expect...
It turns out that this museum is part zoo, part science center
and part botanical garden.

My small group of boys wanted to head to the mineral cave first.
Located in a real cave, were a bunch of minerals and fossils.


After the mineral cave, we wandered through the zoo portion.
Eventually we came to this look-out point.






I don't think the kids fully appreciated the sweeping view, but I sure did!
We found another part of the group and the boys had fun at some of the various stations.
Eventually we found ourselves at the Hummingbird Aviary.



Can you spot the mama bird nesting in this tree?


Soon it was time to go to a special class arranged for this bright group of kids.


I was less than thrilled with some of the special guests.


The falcon I didn't mind - but the tarantulas and snakes didn't make the high point of my day.


After petting this king snake and learning about it,
Caleb asked me if he could get a snake.
And he was serious!


Our animal encounter on the bus ride home only strengthened his resolve.


That evening, when we were eating dinner and telling the family all about our adventure,
Caleb told his dad that he wanted a snake.

At which point both he and his dad both looked at me hopefully.

It must be a boy thing.


2 comments:

Heidi said...

You are making me homesick for the desert!!!

Elizabeth said...

So fun.....and your pics are great!!! Oh, and I found the bird- finally!