When I was growing up, we never went camping. We would go to the beach, amusement parks and other adventures. When we needed to be away from home overnight, we usually stayed in a hotel. Nothing fancy, just a standard room with two queen beds and a TV bolted to the dresser. It never occurred to me that I was missing out on a great kid adventure: dirt.
Since Ryan and I have started taking our kids on vacations, we have realized something. Kids love dirt and roaming free unhampered by the constraints of civilization. So, now we are regular campers. Or we were until we had a baby in the house. To be perfectly honest, which I usually am, I was a little intimidated to take a baby camping.
And for good reason.
Exhibit A:

I am pretty sure she has a rock in her mouth right there. And that brown smudge on her face? Dirt. But, in true fashion, she took to being out in nature like a baby pig to a mud puddle.
One great thing about camping is that there is nothing else to do but spend time together. You can't check your email, call a friend, throw in a load of laundry or shave your legs. So wonderful things like impromptu baseball games evolve. (With occasional pauses to let 'Exhibit A' wander through the diamond.)
The other great thing about camping is that it's dirt (ha) cheap. Just put gas in the car and grab some food and go. Which is great! Because when it's all said and done, kids rarely love the things you actually pay money for. Take the above photo as an example. See the ball in the upper corner within easy reach? Well, she would rather suck on a rock. Thank you very much.



1 comment:
Too cute! Our kids love to camp as well, and everytime we go, we ask ourselves why we do anything else! Dirt is a serious issue though - when Ainslie was little we bought this cage thing and kept her in that on top of fake green grass- we are really weird parents! It did cut down on the amount of dirt she ate though. But now, I am more relaxed and can say "bring on the dirt" ! Glad you and the family had such a wonderful time- those are the things the kids remember!!
Post a Comment