Saturday, August 1, 2009

What was that?

So, I used to really get myself freaked out by noises in the house. Especially at night when everyone else is sleeping.

I would lay in my bed with my heart racing while I summoned up the courage to investigate the mysterious noise. But ever since Lincoln has joined our family, I have been able to relax about those pesky nightly noises.

Last night, I was about to rediscover the heart pounding panic of feeling instantly terrified about... well, nothing.

I was sitting on my couch with Kristen after watching a mediocre and fairly predictable chick flick. We were talking about... I have no idea. But, we were talking and it was late and the lights were out.

I noticed a purple red light as the curtain (hanging from the french door separating Meagan's room from the living room) was pulled back.

Now, Meagan has been known to wake during the night. But she always comes to find one of us. She's not one to suffer in silence. Therefore, I felt quite confidant that it wasn't Meagan.

While my mind told me not to worry about it, I still felt compelled to look. Like a bad car accident. I just had to keep looking. Luckily my persistence paid off and I saw the curtain being pulled back again revealing the pink nightlight glowing behind Meagan's purple curtains.

My nerves were on edge. What was that?

I sent Kristen to scope it out. (I was scared remember?) Well, the french doors were locked (I have no idea why) so she had to bravely continue her hunt down the dark hallway to the secret back entrance to Meagan's room.

I'm not gonna lie - I wasn't really excited to be left alone with the unknown while she was gone.

It turns out that the continually spinning blades of the ceiling fan were wreaking havoc with my imagination by fluttering the curtains every few minutes. Still, it's better not to be too cautious when it comes to mysterious house noises or movements.

That is all.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yikes- nothing like letting that imagination run wild!

Angela Bassett said...

My heart started pounding just reading that! When my friends and I would hang out late and return home to empty house in the am, we'd always go in pretending to talk to our husbands (who weren't with us) really loudly to scare off would-be -lurkers potentially waiting to pounce on us. When Mark was traveling a lot, I finally had to get a security system with motion detectors on the stairwell up the bedrooms just to sleep at night.

Kristen D. said...

I am glad I was there to possibly high kick the intruder. Instead I just got to high kick after I found out it was the fan. Meaning, a good high kick. Like the kind I do when I find out I got a pay raise.