Last night I had a night that was inconceivable. At 2:40am I told Ryan I was going to blog about it. So, here goes:
I have finally reached a point in my life that I don't expect to really sleep well ever again. Maybe in 17 years when Rebekah leaves to college I will be in the clear. Until then, my destiny is to be continually a little sleep deprived.
Here's a little rundown on my night:
I went to sleep around 10:45 last night. Had I known, I might have gone to bed as soon as I walked in the door from work at 8. Since my crystal ball is cracked, however, I decided to stay up and have an uninterupted conversation with my husband.
At any rate, we woke up at 12:40 to the howling protest of our darling Rebekah (who usually sleeps all night). We decide to see if she'll settle back in.
After a few minutes we realize that this is not going to resolve on it's own. So we get her a bottle (since she missed one during the day) and filled up her cute little tummy and put a fresh diaper on her cute little tush.
Okay, now she'll be ready to sleep.
No.
Crying. Pretty soon I am drifting off and dreaming of crying. It's horrible.
Ryan reveals that she was in a car or stroller or Costco shopping cart most of her awake time yesterday. Maybe she is restless and wants to walk/crawl around.
Maybe.
So, I grab a few toys and put my pillow on the floor of her room and watch her crawl around while I try to doze on the carpet. After a few minutes a rich aroma fills the air.
Eureka! She must have just needed to poop. So, another clean diaper on a cute little tush and she starts to rub her eyes! Oh glory!
So, I snuggle her up and stick her pacifier in and put her back into her crib.
Crying.
But, sleep she must. So, I close her door and return to bed. After 10 minutes Ryan and I are just staring at the ceiling wondering when the crying will end.
Suddenly we get a brilliant plan. Since we are awake anyway, why not have a date night? So we grab a movie and put it in my laptop (to drown out the sleepy cries) and watch the last third of Pride and Prejudice in bed. We are both drifting off just as the movie is ending. (Rebekah had long since fallen to sleep).
We were both just settling into sleep when Caleb pushes open our door at 3am. Really? I'm sorry you can't sleep and your bed isn't comfortable, but please, please go to sleep!
Finally the house is quiet and we both settle in for a little nap before morning.
Wait. Not quite.
It's 5am and the house supervisor at work calls me up. He was just checking to make sure I was really planning to come to work. I have no idea what I said to him. All I know is that when my alarm went off at 5:50, I hit the snooze twice.
Isn't that inconceivable?
2 comments:
That right out sucks. I am sorry that you got your night taken away from you! At least you had some weird dreams amongst all of this eh?
honey i love ya and feel every bit of what you said. seeing that it was posted on thursday and that I really have no clue what today is and its over should give you an idea that moms are just a little sleep deprived and just can't give everyone a fair share of the attention. at least you got a movie out of it! jealous i am.
Post a Comment