Saturday, July 25, 2009

Peter doesn't live here!

So, a tragic things has happened. Well... maybe tragic is a little melodramatic. Let me re-phrase. An annoying thing has happened.

Some guy named Peter gave my phone number to every person he owes money to.

I have no idea how this happened.

Now, I get phone calls from persistent people who insist that I hand my phone over to Peter.

Here's a typical conversation:

Me: Hello?

Annoying Bill Collector: Hi, can I speak with Peter please.

Me: You have the wrong number.

Annoying Bill Collector: Oh? (In a voice that clearly communicates "I don't believe you")

Me: Yes

Annoying Bill Collector: Well, can you tell me where I can reach Peter?

Me: I have no idea who Peter is.

Annoying Bill Collector: Hmmm. This is the number that I have listed for Peter.

Me: Well, this is my phone and my phone number and I am not Peter.

Annoying Bill Collector: Okaaay. Are you sure you don't know Peter?

Me: I am all done talking to you.



Repeat daily.

Perhaps the worse part is that these people assume that I am lying to them. They assume that Peter and I are tight and that I am covering for his squandering debt-filled ways.

Maybe it really is more than annoying. It may be tragic.

3 comments:

Kristen D. said...

definitely tragic! I think you should just start shreeking the next time someone asks for Peter. And then hang up. I dare you.

Elizabeth said...

have you ever seen the Seinfeld episode about "the most annoying noise in the world" ? It is basically a silly screeching sound, but I suggest you try it next time- or hand the phone to the kids...Maybe Caleb could pretend to be Peter...LOL!! How annoying!

Christy said...

Ah, We've had the same thing happen to us! Usually it's for a guy (I blank on the name) but I really think that our home number is a random combo that people just happen to pick. We got a call from a gym asking Nick how he liked his visit. Crazy.
BTW! Where did you guys move to???