Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Late night conversations

Yesterday, I got one of those phone calls from school. You know the one, "Mrs. Jones? Hi, this is the nurse at Pueblo, I have Meagan here in my office with a fever of 100.1 and a sore neck." A sore neck? Okay. "I'll be right there."

At any rate, Meagan got cleared by the doctor yesterday afternoon and was, quite frankly, barely sick. So, she alternated between feeling yucky and being bored.

Last night, after being asleep for a couple of hours, she woke up with a bona fide fever. So, we cuddled on the couch together and I put in a "Planet Earth" DVD. These are perfect for sick kids. It's the only time they feel slow moving enough to actually sit through the entire segment. After some discussion, we settled on the "Jungle" segment. We made the room dark "like a movie theater" and settled in for the show. About a third of the way into it, we learned that half of the precipitation in the rain forest is produced by trees themselves which can hold up to several tons of water a year.


Upon hearing this, Meagan's head pops up and she says, "That's because of the water cycle, mom." What?

"You're exactly right Meagan. Where did you learn that?"

"It's true. Ms Ekstrom taught me. The water from the trees evaporates into water that you can't see in the clouds and it waits there until the clouds rain. Except usually the water evaporates from the sea."

I don't know about you, but it seems like the kindergarten curriculum has advanced a bit since I was in elementary school!

5 comments:

Kristen D. said...

J-E-N-I-O-U-S. That's what she is. And yes, she could out spell me any day.

Elizabeth said...

That's one smart cookie you have there!!

Christy said...

Oh that Miss Ekstrom! What a teacher!
And wow. Rebecca looks EXACTLY like Meagen as a tot! Crazy. Oh, and I must add that Caleb is adorable and always has been!

Heidi said...

Oh my gosh! That is so awesome! That she learned it and was able to retell and teach you about it means she really "got it"! Yea! I love little minds! Hope she's doing better...Fever is no fun!

trublubyu said...

that is so awesome! i love when they tell you what they have learned. and even a bonus that she can recall it when she is sick.