Monday, February 7, 2011

Everybody has a story

I have been pondering a lot lately about life generally and trials specifically.  I have been wondering why some people have certain hardships and other people experience life with completely different struggles.  One thing I know for sure is that everyone struggles.  Even when things look perfect for someone, there are always difficulties.

It must be easy to forget that every person you interact with has a story and a journey.  If all of us saw each other in connection with our journeys then we would all be a little kinder.  A little more patient.  A little quicker to encourage instead of make snarky judgement.

Sometimes I am surprised when someone encourages me.

I often wonder why we tend to be a little stingy with our encouragement.  Living in a competitive, demanding world makes it easy to forget that we don't have to be that way.  Lifting someone up actually brings us up too.  We are happier and more full of joy and peace when we look for ways to strengthen and help those around us.

I have experienced the truth of this again and again.  We lose nothing when we are kind and just plain nice to people.  So, smile even if they don't smile back.  Hold a door for someone.  Offer to help when you see a mom struggling with her children.  Look people in the eye.  Give other people the benefit of the doubt.  It doesn't usually take any extra time or money.  Typically it just requires an open mind and a willing heart.

And that is the reminder that I needed today.  I hope to be a pleasant surprise for someone today!

No comments: