I used to think that love was all romance. Love letters and long gazes over candle lit dinners. Then I got a little older and I recognized that love included a lot more. Working together and caring for each other.
As I continued to mature I recognized that sometimes love doesn't look anything like candle lit dinners and charming love notes. Often I see it in the small sacrifices made. Nothing says I love you like getting up with the crying toddler so that your wife can rest. My sweetheart can be very romantic, but he says "I love you" the most by the way that he cares for me.
As time has rolled along I have realized that sometimes love is also just standing together. Whether we are surrounded by problems with no solutions or plodding along through the drudgery of life or miraculously enjoying a moment of unfettered joy - love is always standing together.
So it is that on this Valentine's Day, I am thankful that I have a love that always stands by me.
No comments:
Post a Comment