Thursday, October 8, 2009

Instructions

It dawned on me the other day that parenting is mysterious. And a little bit sneaky. Just when I think I have finally figured out the rhythm and cadence of motherhood, some new thing pops up that makes me feel like a total novice. Like I basically just gave birth and I have no idea what I am doing.

Just this very afternoon I had an epiphany. I love it when that happens because it makes me feel smart and less clueless. I realized that I was clearly approaching motherhood the hard way.

What I really need is just the instructions. You know, like a little booklet that shows me all the parts of my kid and how to assemble and in what order. I think I just lost my instructions. It's easy to see how that could happen because it was a little hectic when we first brought each kid home. There was a lot of paper work and I was still kind of drugged (well, except with Rebekah!).

On second thought, maybe instructions would just be more confusing... especially if it is like assemble-your-own-furniture directions. Tiny pictures with fragment sentences which communicate 3 steps in just 8 words.

Still, a few hints on my model numbers would be useful...

2 comments:

Kristen D. said...

One word. Benadryl. It puts em right to sleep.

Heidi said...

It's the fragmented sentences in 8 different languages and the ones that start over half way through the book and make you have to turn it over to read it that scare me. Besides, the smallest pieces always end up missing. Maybe that piece will show up and then it will make sense and you won't need that manual after all:) Hang in there I am totally feelin' ya!