Sunday, May 31, 2009

What the Qi?

There comes a time in life when you are willing to do whatever it takes to resolve a problem. Since I was a teenager, I have had random neck pain and headaches. I have mostly ignored it and refused to let it get in my way.

Until last summer.

Last summer I spent a grueling 100 days in continual pain. Maybe a migraine, maybe tension headaches, maybe a tumor in my brain... I was finally done ignoring it and decided to turn to the medical community to fix me. I visited my PCP, a neurologist that specializes in headaches and a spine specialist. I had an MRI (no tumor), tried a special migraine diet, had 2 different types of nerve blocks and tried the fanciest (prescription) drugs on the market for headaches. Nothing worked. Not even close. Like spitting on a bonfire.

The point is... last week when my pain returned I was not really interested in doing all that again. I had been feeling like I should visit an acupuncturist.

Now, I'm a really practical girl. Not really into my karma or if my aura is cleansed or anything that seems even a little hocus pocus.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. So, I go in and consult with the naturopathic doctor who is also trained in acupuncture. First of all, she actually listened to me. Second of all, she was nice and I liked her right away. With those two things firmly established, I was willing to try her recommendations. Acupuncture followed by massage once a week for about 6 weeks. (Then massage every month to maintain -- nice right?)

I'm not going to lie: I was a little nervous. I read up on acupuncture (because that's the kind of girl I am) and I found it totally intriguing. I learned all about the energy that flows through the meridians of my body and that acupuncture helps to restore balance in our body.

So, I go in for my appointment and my favorite acupuncturist told me that the muscle pain/headaches that I was experiencing are a result of too much heat and stagnation in my Qi (pronounced chee). Qi is sort of the energy that flows through our bodies. I had already decided that I would just go with it and try to get into it as much as possible in order to benefit from the therapy to the max.


So, I am lying on the table face down and thinking about my Qi and hoping that it isn't too stubborn and will release it's stagnant heat. As she begins to insert the needles, it is a really surreal feeling. Most of the needles didn't hurt at all, with a few hurting just for a moment.

Oddly enough, my hands and feet begin to get warm (which are the starting points of the 12 meridians of the body). So I am totally pumped. I couldn't move, but my aura was totally in the zone. Then throughout the treatment I felt different waves of warmth move through my body. I'm totally serious. It was fascinating.

After laying there for about 40 minutes, my doctor comes in and takes out the needles and then tells me to get up slowly. So, I flip to my side and sit up and feel immediately like all my muscles are made of jello (in a good way) and I feel so mellow and relaxed. Who knew?

Later that night, I woke up around 1am and feel so hot. I get up and check the AC and realize it is 75 degrees in my house. In my sleepy haze, I decide that my Qi must still be dumping its extra heat and fall off to sleep again.

I have felt much better since and I am looking forward to my next visit.
I think my aura is totally aligned with this acupuncture, homeopathy, naturopathic, palm reading business. Okay, no palm reading. But I did get a pamphlet in the mail yesterday about a palm reader healer. They also treat pets. Talk about karma.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I think that is awesome that you tried something new. It sounds very interesting. I hope it works. You deserve to have your Qi made right! :)

Unknown said...

YEAAAAA! I am so happy for you!!!! jello muscles are the best feeling ever, to get THAT feeling without a hangover or toxic addiction, hey that's just cool.

Angela Bassett said...

Ouch. I don't know how my Qi is, but it got all squeamish when I saw the needles. I guess pain can prompt all kinds of bravery/insanity. JK-glad it worked out...we'll keep our fingers crossed that it continues to improve.