Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Grocery Store

Today I headed to the grocery store because we were out of just about everything. Why is it that my natural tendancy is to prolong any trip to the grocery store? It seems like I often find myself going out to the store because I have no other option unless my family wants to eat cereal with no milk and PB&J without the bread.

I tried to break it down and determine what was the most difficult part of going to the store. Maybe it is actually making a list. This means that I have to choose some meals to cook -- why do I always think of the same 3 meals? Not that I haven't gone to the store without a list before. It's just that I find myself wandering up and down the isles and picking out the necessities -- diet coke, cheese and cinnamon toast crunch. Only to look in my cart and realize that they don't exactly make a delicious meal for my family - even if I add the ice cream that I have been thinking about.

And why is it that turning on the engine of my car after loading the groceries and getting the kids buckled always reminds me of the two things that I forgot to get?

3 comments:

trublubyu said...

groceries are a last resort. i hate grocery shopping. don't know what it is. glad to hear i'm not alone.

Elizabeth said...

I totally understand. For me, shopping means kids who want stuff-so we love the Fry's up here because they offer FREE daycare while you shop...I might just be guilty of checking them in to the play place and then going to the deli to eat an egg roll and read a magazine-that counts as "shopping", right? Anyway, I totally get the list thing-I usually make it out and then forget it at home or forget to look at it in the store-probably why I always spend more than I thought I was going to :)

Heidi said...

love love LOVE this post! I too put it off as long as possible and why isn't ice cream a sufficient dinner?
Bad thing is that as much as I hate to admit it...Wal Mart has the best deals in town and so i've been shopping there the past two pay days. The last 5 minutes in the store were spent picking up the cans of food Megan was chucking out of the cart as fast as I picked them up. Maybe that's why I forgot the bread!