Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The last day of summer



Even though it's still going to be triple digits for another 2 months, today was our official last day of summer break. And... we went out in style! Had some friends over for a little pool party, watched Alice in Wonderland, braved Walmart for the teacher's wish list, enjoyed dinner together and then we got the house and kids ready for The First Day of School.

I know my two went to bed feeling equal parts excited and nervous. It's like a childhood rite of passage. I remember feeling anxious before the first day of school. Who would I sit by at lunch? What would I do at recess? Would my teacher be nice?

As my children head to school in the morning, I hope it is with eager anticipation and not nervous trepidation.

I hope the other kids are nice to them and that they have someone to eat lunch with. And that their teachers will see their good hearts -- even if they burrow beneath the surface sometimes.

And I hope they always know that I love them.

No comments: